[imp] Re: [horde] Horde running on Windows?

Todd Aiken taiken@ubishops.ca
Fri, 4 May 2001 15:53:13 -0400

> En réponse à Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:
>
> > [putting this back on the list for the benefit of anyone else
> > interested, and
> > so that it ends up in the archives]
>
> > Quoting Todd Aiken <taiken@ubishops.ca>:
>
> > > I am going to try to install Horde and IMP on a Win2k box
> > > which willinterface
> > > with the Mercury/32 mail transport system w
> > > hich we use with our Novell Netware environment.
>
> > You are aware that IMP doesn't have to be running on s the
> > the same box a IMAP
> > server, right?
>
> I saw form David Harris website they were planing to build an IMAP compl=
iant
> version of mercury.

That is what I am using-it is under public preview.

> The major problem you will be facing with mercury is that it is not a re=
al MTA
> and has to rely on an external smtp server for delivery + a smartmailbox=
 at
> your ISP to receive the mails. Not an easy option... If you do not use t=
he
> netware specific messaging functions I would suggest you use an IMAP ser=
ver

Mercury/32 is capable of delivering the mail on it's own, as opposed to
the NLM version of Mercury which does need a smart relay host, which
we already have since we currently run Mercury NLM at the moment.

Thanks for answering my two questions.  Maybe I'm wrong in trying to
put all of my eggs into one basket, but unfortunately my colleagues
aren't big fans of UNIX (which is a shame in my opinion), and it will be
harder to convince my boss to buy two new machines to impliment
webmail instead of just one.

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken                  | This space can be yours, for just four
Systems Administrator          | easy payments of $39.95.  Plus, buy
Cole Computer Centre           | one half and get the 2nd half for 50%
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY            | off the cost of the two together!
Lennoxville, Quebec, CANADA    | Call 1-800-4-RIPOFF today!