Weird DNS Problem

Andrew Pritchard teppic@easynet.co.uk
Mon, 14 May 2001 18:22:06 +0100

I've already checked the FAQ and the mailing list archives for similar
questions, but none seem relevant.

I've set up Horde and Imp on my "Stable Debian 2.2r2" box, and I've been
using it for nearly a month now without any problems - indeed it's a fine
piece of software. I've got a DNS server set up on the box to serve my
internal network which is also running on there, which appears to be
working just fine. It will resolve any of the entries in it, as will any
of the other clients on the network both forward and reverse. It will also
resolve any "real" internet addresses just fine via my ISP's DNS servers.
It's using PostgreSQL as the database at the backend, which is the default
DB for Horde/IMP under this distribution.

As I say - I've been using it for about a month now, and all of a sudden
there is a problem. The horde framework comes up almost immediately, as
expected - so I'd be surprised if this were a resource issue. However when
I click on the IMP link, it takes at *least* a minute for the login screen
to come up. And everytime I try to perform an action it takes a similar
amount of time. In the past I've experienced similar problems with things
like POP3/IMAP/Telnet where the server hasn't been able to resolve the IP
address of the workstation concerned, and has timed out and gone off and
done it anyway. So I put a sniffer on the network and sure enough it's
trying to resolve: "localhost.co.uk".

The IMAP server is on that machine, and yes I'm in the UK, so trying to
resolve a UK server would not be unreasonable. But where has it got
localhost.co.uk from? And which process is it that's trying to resolve
this address - Apache, IMAP, Postgresql or something else that I'm
missing.

The only thing I have changed recently, is the "apt-get upgrade" for the
Samba software on there which was the latest security fix, but to be
honest I can't see how that could be an issue - the software should be
unrelated, and I didn't see any shared libraries being updated as part of
that process.

Everything else seems fine on the machine, including Samba. I will try
this evening disabling Samba (which is also running off the Inetd to
ensure that's not giving me spurious DNS requests.) I might also try
switching off the local DNS server so ensure that is not misconfigured in
some odd way. What else should I check? I'm not at all convinced it's an
apache problem, the rest of the server (such as it is) is behaving itself
- and is as quick as I'd expect it to be.

I will also try an 'ordinary' IMAP client to see if there is a similar
issue, and watch for the DNS queries whilst I do that.

How can I check the Postgresql db for misconfiguration? I don't have much
experiance with any DB, so it could be a misconfig there. If it is a
misconfig here - I don't know how that happened - I know I don't know
enough about DB's to not mess with that.

Yours in hope of a quick resolution,

Andrew

This message was sent by Easymail - http://www.easynet.co.uk/