[imp] CVS vs RPM

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Tue, 22 May 2001 09:48:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Abid Ghufran <abidghufran@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was talking about the RPM vs CVS setup and establishment. Whether
> the process is the same or different and if different what are the
> major things in which they differ.

They're pretty different methods.  With packages (RPMs in this case)
you're working with atomic units, pretty much... you install the RPMs and
do a little post-install configuring.  With CVS, you're checking out
individual files, and then doing somewhat more post-checkout configuring;
however, it's easier to get "just one fix" from CVS after that point,
fixes are available right away [no wait for the next release and RPM
builds] etc.  I use both in different contexts; depends on what your goals
are.

> Secondly I mentioned the reason why I was talking about the two
> (above). I already have an IMP setup based on IMP 2.2 and was checking
> the possibility of upgrading to IMP 2.3. and further am under the
> impression that IMP 2.3 is only available in CVS form.

Correct.  It's not worth creating RPMs quite yet while 2.3.x is still in
motion... but shortly when 2.3.x beta releases become available, that will
be a good time to provide beta RPMs as well, I think.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN