[imp] Persistent IMAP connections

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 23 May 2001 16:02:29 -0400

Quoting Egan <egan@sevenkings.net>:

> Although we can maintain limited state information with PHP4 sessions,
> PHP4 still provides no method of keeping a TCP socket open to the IMAP
> server between browser requests.

Right. I should have been more specific; I didn't remember anyone talking about
using php4 sessions to do this. Everything else I do remember, at least
vaguely. :)

> Develop a client-server IMAP proxy, based on the echo client-server
> described in Stevens' UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1.  As Stevens
> said, his example could be the foundation for any TCP client-server,
> all you need to add is the code needed for handling your application
> data.

I think Anil actually started on a generic IMAP proxy that'd fill this role for
IMP - how's that going, Anil?

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Black and white and grey, all the shades of truth.