about IMP

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Thu, 24 May 2001 06:36:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 24 May 2001, martusci <loredana.martusciello@unifi.it> wrote:

> I have read FAQ, but I have not very understood how the product (I'm
> talking about IMP) uses the database : does it store the mail on the
> Web server?

The database and mail storage are two independent things.  If you're
asking about IMP 2.2.x, a database can be used to store user preferences
and contacts (both optional).  You must have someplace to store PHPLIB
session data (not optional), and a database is often used to do this.

As far as mail, IMP uses your IMAP server, so it doesn't care about
how/where the mail is stored; that's an IMAP server responsibility.

> I would know if the product needs necessarily to run on the same
> server on which the mail server runs,

No; the IMP (web) server, IMAP server, and database server can all run on
separate machines if you want.

> if it can be installed on a VMS OS.

The list of supported software is here; as people get other things
working, they let us know and we update the page:

http://www.horde.org/imp/2.2/supported.php

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN