[imp] Moveing contacts and prefrences

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:18:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Jacob Rush <jrush@swedishamerican.org> wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a new server on a fresh install of imp
> (2.2.5) to replace our current slow hardware and imp (2.2.2).  The only
> thing I am not sure of is how to move the contacts and prefrences over
> from the old server.  Both are running mysql.  Im sure this issue has
> come up in the mailing list before but I searched the archives and could
> not find a difinative answer.

Yes, I've had to do this too; it's pretty common I think.  Basically, you
need to dump the contents of the imp_addr and imp_pref tables from the old
server:

$ mysqldump -uhordemgr -p[hordepass] horde imp_addr imp_pref >dump.sql

The result is a MySQL script which, if you run it on your new server, will
create the tables and populate them with the content.  (You don't need to
bring the active_sessions data across; all the data in it is dynamically
created (PHPLIB sessions).  Just make sure the table exists.)

> Also is there any imp spefic things I should watch out for when doing
> this.  Im not sure how imp decides what contacts go to what user.

In both tables, the first column is called "user", and it's tied to your
mail and/or IMP server name (it's the value of $default->server in
horde/imp/config/defaults.php3) -- if that value on the new server is
different than the old server, you'll need to convert all those email
addresses, using a Perl one-liner or something.

[A final note to other people doing this from *before* IMP 2.2.2 -- there
were database format changes in that release that you probably want to
apply;  the horde/scripts/database/mysql_alter.sql script will do this for
you.]

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN