[imp] shared memory error

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:10:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Michael Redinger <Michael.Redinger@uibk.ac.at> wrote:

> (Note: this machine is definitely the same as the test server - I made
> the image, put it on the production server, changed the IP and
> hostname configurations - that's it ...).

I'm not sure what you mean by "made the image" -- first off, what platform
are we talking about (operating system and version for both servers)?
Are you compiling and installing tarballs (and if so, are you sure all
versions are exactly the same), or are you using some kind of packages
(same question)?

If by "image" you only mean the horde/ tree, there are a few other things
that need to be moved, of course; Apache .conf files, PHP .ini file, etc.

> When trying to access IMP I do get the following error message:
> Warning: not enough shared memory left in ct_shm.inc on line 5
>
> There where some postings about this on this and other mailing lists.
> None of them seemed to give a solution. Chuck (if I remember
> correctly) proposed to increased shm_size in ct_shm.inc. I tried this
> (now 4096000 instead of 64000 ...). This does not work.

Drat.  In reviewing my mail folders for people who have reported this,
that's the only answer I've ever seen, and it seems to work for most
people.  (I'm assuming that you restarted Apache; I don't know if that's
required, but just in case.)

A command to inspect the size is "ipcs -m" (Linux) or "ipcs -mb"
(Solaris).

> I also noted that when configuring phplib for mysql it was much faster
> - however, probably misconfigured it as I couldn't successfully login
> (only had a few minutes, it's a production machine ...)

Just in case you get the opportunity again for a quick test:  there are
three places where the host/database/user/password are stored:  MySQL
itself (use horde/scripts/database/mysql_create.sql to create the tables),
horde/phplib/local.inc (used for the PHPLIB sessions; that's the part that
shm is supposed to handle too), and imp/config/defaults.php3 (only used
for prefs and address book).  You should be able to at least test the
MySQL part (that the user/password can get to the "horde" database and add
rows to the active_sessions table, etc.) in advance.

Then use the horde/test.php3 page for a quick test that PHPLIB with MySQL
is working; "Click here to test PHPLIB" and reload the resulting page
several times, to make sure the "Per Session Data" counter increments.

> When searching with Google the only similar problems I found where
> those of IMP. This might even be reasonable as, according to the docs,
> horde ships a modified version of phplib.

True.

> Any clues? Maybe at least someone who got IMP working with shm on a
> real production system (with more than just 1 or 2 concurrent users
> ...)?

Unfortunately on my production boxes I use database; I have tested with
shm under Red Hat 6.2 and 7.0, but not with any significant load.
Hopefully someone else who has it working in production on a similar
platform to yours will chime in.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN