Support for other mailbox formats

Gary Gendel gary@genashor.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:32:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

How do other people manage IMAP with other than mbox format?
Specifically, I used mh, but I started moving to maildir format.  In
either case, I have a real nightmare with IMAP clients.

Since these formats have a file per message, I end up with a plethora of
folders (10000s) in the folder pulldown and the folder tree.

Somehow I would like the clients to recognize multi-file formats and
prune the tree.  In the event of maildir, this would simply mean setting
some rule that would ignore any directories named cur, new, or tmp.  For
MH, you could ignore any numerically named files and numerical ones that
are prefixed with ','.

I have heard that there is a way to ignore hidden files and folders
(starting with '.').  This seems like a golden opportunity to add hooks
for this.  What do I need to set this filter on?

Since I have trouble with most IMAP clients (except Ishmail), I may just
 have to stick with mbox format anyway.  I just tend to get a lot of
large emails and would end up with huge mail files (which gets pretty
inefficient to process).

Regards,
Gary

	Gary Gendel			Vice President
	Genashor Corp			email:  gary@genashor.com
	17 Dogwood Drive		phone:	(908) 369-8554
	Hillsborough, NJ 08844		fax:	(908) 369-8544