Charsets and LDAP

Andriy Kopystyansky anri@polynet.lviv.ua
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:45:52 +0300

Hi developers,
There is a kind of problem with LDAP, Turba abd IMP in countries with non-latin
alphabet. A lot of companies/institutions use some local Directory Services -
NDS, e-Directory whatever. As far as i know (this statement should be allover
the text), all those services uses UTF-8 charset for non-latin data stored in
(our company uses UTF-8 to store entries in ukrainian).
But mail standard for Ukraine is KOI8-U; KOI8-R - for Russia and so on..),
thats why I prefer to set my default charset in IMP to KOI8-U, but in this case
i'm not able to search people over local LDAP since ldap-entries are in UTF!
To make those things work nicely i have to get names in 'To'/'CC' field (it
will be in KOI8-U), recode it to UTF-8, pass to ldap-search, retrieve result,
convert it back to KOI8-u and expand names :)

I'd like to know, maybe administrators/developers/programmers in non-latin
countries have already made such widget?

--
Best regards,
Andriy Kopystyansky.

Sent through IMP at PolyNet: http://WPAD.PolyNet.Lviv.UA/horde/imp