[imp] Writing to user's .forward file from IMP

Christopher Crowley ccrowley@tulane.edu
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:22:11 -0700

> Ah, okay. This list probably won't be able to tell you much about your
> local setup, though.

The reason I posed the question was that someone else on the list might have
encountered this same user request previously.  Vacation is used here to
handle automatic responses.

I am in the conceptualization phase, working on offering a web interface to
the vacation program. The user community here doesn't want to telnet to the
unix system and modify the appropriate appropriate files using a text
editor.

The most significant point is that a php script won't have permission to
modify the contents of the user's home directory. However, the IMAP server
writes to the user's home directory on a regular basis for the stored mail
Folders. I would like to leverage the permission granted to the IMAP session
to write relevant information into the user's home directory.

If anyone on the list has accomplished a similar task, please share the
caveats and your successful methods.  Thank you.

Chris