[imp] Scaling - how many logins per day are people supporting?

andrew morgan morgan@orst.edu
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:53:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Michael Bull wrote:

> Hi all,
> We've had IMP running for some time now, and we're watching how we might
> need to scale in the future.  Currently, we've got it running on a twin CPU
> Sun E250 with 2GB of RAM, with an IMAP server on a separate message.  It's
> supporting about 3000 logins/day (I just grep -c 'd the log for the current
> day and the word "success" to get that).   How many logins a day are other
> people supporting, and on what hardware?

We're running IMP on a Sun E250 with 1152MB of RAM, IMAP on a separate
server.  We had 4705 logins on 07/30, the peak for the last week.  Of
course, this is down quite a bit since it is summer term.  We had
somewhere around 8000-9000 logins per day on this same server during
spring term.

The only added performance advantage we might have is that we are using
the Sun Crypto Accelerator card to reduce the SSL load on the cpu.  This
made a big difference in the speed of connections overall.  We use SSL for
everything on IMP.  We had high load averages before the card because
apache was spawning so many child processes to deal with incoming
requests.  Now, each request is handled so much quicker that it never
spawns a lot of children and the load average stays below 1 usually.

	Andy