[imp] Square brackets in filter rules?

Mark Nienberg mark@tippingmar.com
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:40:02 -0700

I suppose complex filtering in imp has its place, but isn't it easier to
set up filtering on the mail server itself with procmail or some such?
Then the filtering is already done before you even open imp.  And if
you access the same mailbox and folders using other programs, the
results are consistent.  You don't need to set up the same filters in
multiple e-mail client software.  If the users don't have shell access
to the mail server to set up their filters, I think I remember someone
on the list saying that he was working on a web interface to procmail.

Mark Nienberg

On 1 Aug 2001, at 7:58, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Quoting Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>:
>

> > > This square-bracket filtering is important, because I don't want
> > > to filter mail with (for example) the words "important" or
> > > "simple" into that folder, only the mail from this mailing
> > > list whose subject contains the string "[imp]".
> >
> >  The better solution is of course for the list server to stop subject
> >  mangling, but that's just me ...
>
> I totally agree.
>
> But even if this list server stops mangling the subject, in
> the general case, I'd still like to be able to filter on subject
> strings that contain all sorts of characters, including square
> brackets.
>
> After all, I could easily just do To/CC filtering on
> "imp@lists.horde.org" (which, actually, is what I'm now doing),
> but my original question goes beyond the filtering for this
> particular mailing list, which I only mentioned as an example.
>
> --
>  Lloyd Zusman
>  ljz@asfast.com

Mark W. Nienberg, SE