[imp] access to mail stored in user's home directories

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 00:29:14 -0400

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:01:53AM -0400, Liam Hoekenga (liamr@umich.edu) wrote:
> > Run UW's imapd on the machine in question. (Whether you want Pine to
> > use imapd or local filesystem access is up to you after that -- but
> > you can't have A IMP without IMAP. :-)
>
> We might be able to do something like that... and just wrap the local
> imapd so it only accepted connections from the same machine.  Kinda klugy,
> but if it works... hey, who am i to argue?

Well, IMP /is/ an IMAP client*, so you'll have to have an IMAP
server. IMP doesn't know anything about mailbox files or home
directories at all; it doesn't even assume it's running on the machine
to which mail is delivered.

Of course, one option is to run an imapd on the machine and /not/ wrap
it to accept only local connections, thus letting users use their
favorite desktop IMAP clients too. :-)

> Will IMP allow users to open connections with multiple IMAP servers?

Not simultaneously.

  -Rich

[*] Yes, also known to speak POP, but I can't say I recommend
    designing around POP.

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!