IMP+IMAP+SSL bug or misconfiguration

Mariusz Zynel mariusz@math.uwb.edu.pl
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:54:36 +0200

HI All

I'm new to the list, but I saw quite a lot of postings related to that
subject. I started puuling my hairs off my head but finally got
got IMP with IMAP over SSL working. I got some notes which I hope may
help others.

This is what I have:
  Solaris 8 x86
  Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) PHP/4.0.6 mod_ssl/2.8.3 OpenSSL/0.9.6
  IMP 2.3.7-cvs + Horde (checked out on Aug 3 from cvs)
  UW IMAP 2000 over SSL
  all certs are self-signed (significant!)

All configuration files are self-documented, but as I'm not a PHP
expert this bit was not obvious (/horde/config/horde.php):

// An array holding any parameters that the Auth object will need to
// function correctly. For IMAP, this is the server name, port,
// protocol, etc.
$conf['auth']['params'] = array();

I've added:

$conf['auth']['params']['server'] = 'math.uwb.edu.pl';
$conf['auth']['params']['protocol'] = 'imap/ssl/novalidate-cert';
$conf['auth']['params']['port'] = 993;

Next bit of horde configuration to run sendmail:

$conf['mailer']['params'] = array();
$conf['mailer']['params']['sendmail_path'] = '/usr/local/sbin/sendmail';

In /horde/imp/config/servers.php I have:

$servers['imap'] = array(
    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
    'server' => 'math.uwb.edu.pl',
    'protocol' => 'imap/ssl/novalidate-cert',
    'port' => 993,
    'folders' => 'mail/',
    'namespace' => '',
    'maildomain' => 'math.uwb.edu.pl',
    'smtphost' => '',
    'realm' => 'math.uwb.edu.pl',
    'preferred' => ''
);

FAQ says it is enough to add imap/ssl but doesn't mention
imap/ssl/novalidate-cert combination for self-signed certs.

All is working fine with mailhost, mailport, mailprotocol, and
folders "unlocked" in /horde/imp/config.prefs.php, i.e.
with 'locked' property set to false. When I "lock" any of the
above IMP makes my Apache together with IMAP crazy - top reports
10% of cpu time for httpd! which ends up in killing apache.
Seems to be a bug.

I noticed in /horde/imp/templates/login/login.inc that there is no
<input type="hidden" name="protocol" value="<?= $protocol_value ?>" />
specified when mailhost is locked. I added that line but no luck.

Anyways... it was a pain, but new IMP was worth that.

Regards

--
        .
Mariusz Zynel         University of Bialystok, Institute of Mathematics