[imp] access to mail stored in user's home directories

Liam Hoekenga liamr@umich.edu
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:39:24 -0400 (EDT)

> > Run UW's imapd on the machine in question. (Whether you want Pine to
> > use imapd or local filesystem access is up to you after that -- but
> > you can't have A IMP without IMAP. :-)

hey... c-client can access local mailboxes (at least on unix machines).
i've mucked around with php, and doing an

   imap_open("/home/user/mail/nameofsomemessagefolder", "", "")

works just fine (tho, it does leave a bunch of .lock files all over the
place, and isn't good about cleaning them up).

Any plans for IMP to support multiple servers per user (a la pine's
folder-collections directive)?  If not, I'd love to see it added to a list
of planned features.

As far as c-client is concerned, you can access the local folders as if
they were on an imap server.. so, this kind of functionality would
probably allow easy access to maildirs on the webserver as well as other
IMAP and POP servers.

Liam Hoekenga
UofM Webmaster Team

>From chuck@horde.org Date: Thu,  9 Aug 2001 14:08:19 -0400
> hey... c-client can access local mailboxes (at least on unix machines).

Permissions problems, is all I have to say...

> Any plans for IMP to support multiple servers per user (a la pine's
> folder-collections directive)?  If not, I'd love to see it added to a list
> of planned features.

Why don't you send us a patch? ;)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.