[imp] Japanese character support

Daniel Wyss Daniel.Wyss@colorado.edu
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:44:27 -0600

If you use Internet Explorer and have the appropriate language pack
installed, it is possible to view messages encoded with different character
sets. Here is a link to some documentation I have written up for our system.

http://www.colorado.edu/ITS/docs/webmail/data1.html#13

Basically, you can open the message source and then choose the type of
encoding to view it with for example Japanese, or, if you use IE,
right-click in the frame that contains the message and select the encoding
from the menu that pops up.

-Daniel Wyss

Daniel Wyss
IT PRO, Central and Unix Services
Information Technology Services
University of Colorado, Boulder

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Hagenbuch [mailto:chuck@horde.org]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 9:22 AM
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] Japanese character support

Quoting Niels Peuyn <peuyn@oberon.net>:

> -  IMP Version 2.2.6

[snip]

> > Are they set to the Japanese locale? Otherwise,
> > things won't come out right, certainly...
>
> Sorry, but I donエt understand what you mean.

Ah, okay. No one seems to have done a Japanese translation for 2.2. So what
you
need to do is either make a translation, or just copy the files from
locale/en
into locale/jp, add that language, and have your users use it, so that the
charset gets set correctly.

I tested with 2.3, and when I switched to Japanese (just added the charset;
no
translation is done yet), the test message (which I bounced to my server)
came
up showing characters correctly (after IE prompted me to install a language
pack).

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.