[imp] Japanese character support

Niels Peuyn peuyn@oberon.net
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:18:40 +0200

Hello,

> If you use Internet Explorer and have the appropriate language pack
> installed, it is possible to view messages encoded with different character
> sets. Here is a link to some documentation I have written up for our system.
>
> http://www.colorado.edu/ITS/docs/webmail/data1.html#13
>
> Basically, you can open the message source and then choose the type of
> encoding to view it with for example Japanese, or, if you use IE,
> right-click in the frame that contains the message and select the encoding
> from the menu that pops up.

Some japanese characters are encoded not correct
e.g   "." (dot) or "?" (question mark) are displayed,
instead of jap. char. Sometimes a wrong jap. character
is displayed as well.

We tried encoding:
-  ISO-2022-JP  (poor result)
-  ISO-2022-JP-2  (garbage are displayed)
-  Shift-JIS  (..)
-  EUC-JP  (..)

For test message please check: (test account for IMP 2.2.6)
   -  Host: webmail.oberon.net
   -  POP-ID: chuck@europe.jis.de
   -  POP-PW: sodiciHE
   There are japanese emails in the Inbox.

We checked with:
-  Client OS:
   o  Windows98 German, Japanese
   o  Windows2000 Japanese
   o  FreeBSD 4.2
-  Browser: IE5.0 German, Japanese
   o  Netscape 4.75 German, Japanese

Current IMP 2.2.6 configuration:
-  Setting in *lang.php3*
   o  $lang->charset['jp'] = 'ISO-2022-JP';

Thanks for help
Niels Peuyn
Oberon.net Netzwerksysteme GmbH