[imp] Tarball with all sources in it

Rick Romero Rick@valeoinc.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:43:11 -0500

On 29 Aug 2001 at 14:07, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 02:21:14PM -0700, Travis Zadikem wrote:
> > I use Redhat 7.1.  IT DOES INCLUDE THIS, but obviously
> > you do not do a lot of sysadmin stuff.
>
> Obviously, you don't do enough ...
>
> > I sysadmin linux, solaris, windows 15 hours everyday and work
> > with other sysadmins.

I missed that earlier..If you're spending 15 hours a day (ie. 75 hours
a week) doing sysadmin, there's something wrong there.

You either need more people, more automation, more stability,
and/or less quickfixes.

Having everything included at
> > least on source side makes things a lot easier.
> > Anyway, when you buy commercial based software
> > packages on the linux/unix side these come with all
> > that is needed (footprints to name one).  The more you
> > make something easier the more people will adopt to it
> > and use it.

You're never going to be able to absorb all the information you
REALLY need, if you actually have 15 hours of work to do every
day.  Which gets us back to where we started (gzipped/bzipped
tarball with 'all' sources).  You should be able to spare enough time
on a project to gather the necessary knowledge and materials
before you start it.

(Unlike me, who had to return to Home Depot 3 times for little bags
of concrete, because I can't figure out square footage.. :)