[imp] Strange timeout

Scot Wilcoxon scot@wilcoxon.org
Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:50:44 -0500

This long delay at startup is often due to a POP/IMAP server trying to
do a network "ident" query to a machine with ident disabled (or ident
might be blocked at a firewall because it is a mild security risk).
Maybe the POP/IMAP server can be told not to do an ident query, or maybe
the machine without ident should run walldns or a similar
return-fake-information ident server.  If the POP machine is a Unix
machine, there might be an entry in a log file such as /var/log/secure.

A less likely reason for a minute-long delay could be running Secure
POP/IMAP on a 486, and the processor simply is taking a while to deal
with the encryption overhead.