[imp] 237-cvs: Still no folders (was: Re: [imp] IMP 2.3.7: No folders selectable/shown)

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:33:40 -0400

Quoting Alexander Skwar <ASkwar@DigitalProjects.com>:

> Okay, I've now tried 'Mail/'.  Now it's showing me quite some files in
> the folder selector in the upper right hand corner.  I wonder - why is
> it showing me all these files up there?  My ~/.mailboxlist doesn't
> contain all these files - well, it contains some files, but with the
> Mail/ prefix.  Is IMP ignoring the .mailboxlist?

Aha! Yes, it is, because you didn't tell it to use it. Turn on the
'subscribe' preference (use IMAP subscriptions). You should probably leave
'folders' set to either 'Mail/' (if all of your mailboxes live in their) or
''.

> So the folderprefix depends upon the user?  If I had my procmail recipe
> setup so, that it delivers to '~/Postverzeichnis/', I would have to
> enter 'Postverzeichnis/' as the prefix?  Why don't I have to do this in
> mutt and evolution?

Well, if you wanted to restrict the folder-space to one particular folder,
you would. If you really want to see everything in your $HOME directory from
your mail client, you don't.

> (The name of the folder ABC contains invalid characters).
>
> I suppose, this is because of the Umlaut ? in the file-/foldername?

Yup. You need to encode foldernames in the utf7 encoding that IMAP uses.

> Now I tried to go to the folder management screen, and there it
> completely bombs out:
>
> -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>
> Warning: imap_utf7_decode: Invalid modified UTF-7 character: `?' in /var/www/html/horde/imp/lib/Tree.php on line 156
>
> Warning: imap_utf7_decode: Invalid modified UTF-7 character: `?' in /var/www/html/horde/imp/lib/Tree.php on line 156

I've silenced this warning.

> Hmm, maybe it would be nice, if IMP would handle illegal characters in
> folder names more gracefully.

Beyond the above, I'll consider patches. But I really hate putting in
kludges just to deal with things that are invalid.

-chuck

--
Hockey means never having to say you're sorry.