[imp] Performance scaling.

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:25:31 -0400

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 04:24:41PM -0400, Michael Bull wrote:

> >If you're running IMP 2.3 using my PostgreSQL session handler,
> >all of the necessary user state will be stored in the database.
> >The user is not tied to a specific web server.
>
> Where's the most current version of that session handler, Jon?

Version 1.7, available from:

    http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/projects/pgsql_session_handler/

> I assume you've written this for a reason... do you have a production
> service using this?  How has it worked out?

I wrote it over a year ago for use in a production environment,
but I no longer work there, so I just maintain it.  A lot of
end users do use it in aggressive environments, though, and have
offered a number of suggestions that have improved it a great
deal over its revisions.

If you're running all of your IMP services on one machine,
though, the files-based handler will still likely be faster.

Also, the msession extension that was recently added to PHP 4 cvs
apparently offers excellent performance, but I haven't used it
personally.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (B.S.)