[imp] Slowness with big mailboxes

Paul Fielding paul@mainland.ca
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:23:01 -0600 (MDT)

Quoting Joseph Brennan <brennan@columbia.edu>:

> Why does this surprise you?  It always takes longer to parse a larger
> mailbox.  This is true for any IMAP client and is not special to IMP.

This surprises me because every other IMAP client I use works quite quickly.
If I connect to the IMAP server using Outlook Express, Netscape Mail, or other
IMAP clients, it takes me all of 5 seconds to get an updated list, and
operation is quick and snappy.  This is true on one mailbox I'm testing with
that has over 500 messages in it's Inbox.

With IMP, on a small mailbox (ie. under 30-40 messages), it is also snappy.
But with a large mailbox (100+ messages) it takes upwards of 1 minute to get
the mailbox open.  And this 1 minute recurs *ever* time you flip back to the
inbox or make a change (delete a file, expunge, etc).  It makes it pretty much
unusable in these scenarios.

The fact that this does not happen with other IMAP clients makes me believe
there is an issue here...

regards,

Paul