[imp] Slowness with big mailboxes

Chip Mefford cmefford@avwashington.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:26:55 -0400

On 2001.10.02 05:47 Alex Leverington wrote:

> I have found that 'chmod +t' the your mail direcotry in
> spool *greatly*
> improves speed (ex: chmod +t /var/spool/mail)
>
> I did this and it improved performance drastically. I'm
> not sure what it does
> but I read it on a post once. I'm guess it sets some type
> of access priority or
> does read-ahead caching or something. Nonetheless, it
> worked for me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex Leverington

I'm confused,
Some of the older documentation I have says the t switch
sets the "sticky" bit, other docs state that the t switch
saves the program text on swap device.

I expect it is the latter operation that is at play
here, but I don't see why this would be a great idea
for mail?

what exactly does the t switch do? If /var/spool/mail
is set to save text on swap, and swap is smaller
than a users mailbox, which is at least conceivable,
users being what they are, wouldn't that turn into a
real issue?