[imp] imp questions (usability issues)

Dan Ellis danellis@rushmore.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:26:52 -0600 (MDT)

I agree that the client side should stay no matter what.  I don't see server-
side filters being a cure-all.  I especially think that they are not for
everyone, but mostly for advanced users.

Its too hard for some to grasp why their mail is doing funny things in Outlook
[Express] when once a long time ago they used IMP and messed with filters.

I also think client-side filters are more display filters and server-side
filters are more action filters.  I know many will disagree with me, but if you
have 2000 messages (you haven't checked your imp mail in awhile) that need to
be tossed around and put into different folders the first time you login, that
seems a little backwards.  But hey, thats about the only choice most people
have right now...

I used to think that a hand-holding ui for sieve scripting was the way to go,
but now I'm thinking that if you want to use sieve, you should learn it enough
to remember you messed with it.

Opinions?  Should we have a ui for advanced programmers where you basically
write your own script, or should we have a ui similar to what we have where the
script is generated for us based on picking some fields and criteria?

I know the best answer would be to leave it user-defineable, but I don't know
if that will get done anytime in the near future.  I'd like to focus on one
side first, as a risk analysis to see if its worth it to continue.

Also, another question|statement...  What about a flag sitting next to the
status that would basically check if you have fitlers set active?  I'd llove to
enter IMP and see a little flag showing me immediately if I have any filters
active (server-side or client-side)

Some feedback is really welcome.

Dan Ellis