here's what I sent - I'd rather not crowd the list...

Mike Coughlan mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:25:01 -0400

Feel free to inquire more offline, or to invite me to a conversation in
another IMAP group via www.google.com groups. Traffic for IMP is already
very high.

Here's what I wrote...

UW stores mail spools in one large file.  Couries breaks them up into
individual files. The latter is much more efficient as mail spools grow past
10-40MB.  Don't use UW.

Cyrus has it's own format that is not plaintext. I kind of like being able
to grep on Courier text spool, but I suppost some compression may save
space. Cyrus is probably more effieienct on the whole, but requires more
knowledge.

This site is pretty hard core, and advocates Cyrus with LDAP authentication
for large corporate level & ISP level mail servers. That said, for a group
of 20-50 people, Courier with OS authentication will be easier to deal with,
and is fine.

http://www.moongroup.com/docs/exchange-replacement-howto/book1.html

Also if you are new to this, look into what kind of virus filter you want in
place.  The Exim MTA has a script to catch .exe and .vbs etc.

Don't use sendmail as your MTA. It is too powerful, and difficult to
understand.

Look into Postfix, Qmail, or Exim.  We use Postfix, and this Procmail email
filter below.

This procmail tool also is very robust, but may be overkill and is difficult
to tailor.  If you don't mind getting HTML mail mangled, and javascript
attachments renamed then use it.  It trusts nothing.

http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

Mike Coughlan

GOTHAM BROADBAND
3 West 18th Street