[imp] automatically appending a default domain name to unqualified addresses?

Steeman Philip philip.steeman@kh.khbo.be
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:05:43 +0200

>Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr@umich.edu>:
>
>> imp 2.3.7 question... is there any mechanism to get IMP to automatically append
>> $servers['servername']['maildomain'] to unqualified email addresses?
>
>Currently, no. It'd be a good option, but we need to figure out how it'll
>interact with Expand Names - any ideas?
>
>-chuck

First a short introduction:
I like the use of nicknames in IMP2.2 (auto expand it to full
e-mailaddresses).
I like to automatically append the 'maildomain' to unqualified email
addresses (IMP2.2)
I like the feature of 'expand names' (IMP 2.3)

So, I like the best of both worlds.

I tried to merge the three together in 'a logical manner'.

1) when you leave a addressfield (To, CC, BCC) with click or TAB:
expand the names that are still unqualified (without @) with a mechanism
like the nickname-mechanism. e.g. Take the unqualified name and search
in the addressbook on 'alias' and if it exists, translate it in the full
email-address.

2) when you click on 'expand names' expand all the names that are still
unqualified, to their e-mailaddress like the behaviour in IMP2.3.

3) when you click on 'Send Message' expand all the names that are still
unqualified, by appending the maildomain name.

I do not know if it's easy to implement, it is just an idea (but you
asked for it).

Philip