[imp] Login (horde auth = 'imp') always returns "Login failed for some reason..."

James Nikolich jnikolic@compeuphoria.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:55:48 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, David Peoples wrote:

> James,
>
> Are you using a MySQL table to store the PHP session data? If so, I suspect PHP
> is not saving your session data, despite the apparent success of test.php. Try
> this: run the test.php page to be sure the variable increments. Then try to log
> in to IMP. After the login fails, load the test.php page and try refreshing
> again. See if the session-counter still increments. If it now fails to
> increment, you have a problem with session data storage in PHP.
>
> This happened to me and I solved it by switching PHP from MySQL-based to
> file-based session storage for Horde. I'm not sure, but suspect a problem in the
> code I'm using for PHP's SQL session storage, that can't handle switching back
> and forth between the Horde database and the database the session table is in.

You are correct, David;  I am using MySQL.  Thanks for the diagnostic tip.
Unfortunately, my problem doesn't seem to demonstrate the same symptoms
yours did.  I followed your advice (all using a single browser instance):

When I first brought up test.php, the counter showed 1.  I refreshed 3
times to bring it up to 4.  Then I edited the URL to point to the IMP
login page, and attempted a login.  The login failed.  Then I re-edited
the URL to point back to test.php.  The session counter had been
incremented to 5.  I refreshed twice to bring it up to 7.  Then I
unregistered it, bringing it back to 1, and then refrshed twice to bring
it back up to 3.

Incidentally, the same behaviour manifests if I try to log into horde
directly (i.e. "www.compeuphoria.com/horde/"), instead of IMP (i.e.
www.compeuphoria.com/horde/imp").  The only noticable difference is that
when I to login to horde, the failure login screen does not display the
"Login failed for some reason..." message.  Also, the new URL remains
unchanged.  When I attempt to log into IMP directly, the failure login
screen displays the "Login failed for some reason...".  Perhaps this is an
expected difference, but I thought I'd point it out.

Any other idas?.  Should I still try to use file-based session storage?...

Thanks again,

Jim