[imp] Login (horde auth = 'imp') always returns "Login failed for some reason..."

David Peoples davidp@touringcyclist.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:32:52 -0600

Sorry about the slowness of my response. I don't see anything wrong with your
PHP config -- but I'm no guru, so it might just be that I can't see the
problem, not that one isn't there. <g>

In the big picture, I'm using PHP 4.0.6 (not your 4.0.5) and Apache 1.3.9
(not your 1.3.19). I checked out the changelog for PHP 4.0.5 to 4.0.6 and saw
only one session-related fix, something about a race condition. So I don't
expect just a minor point upgrade would do anything for you, but I guess you
could try.

Your php 'configure' command included a bunch of options that I didn't use,
and leaves out a few that I did. Here are the ones not in yours:
  --with-mcal   (nothing to do with sessions)
  --with-mcrypt (nothing to do with sessions)
  --enable-trans-sid
  --enable-versioning

The '--enable-trans-sid' makes a var called SID available in the PHP script
for when you want a URL to hold the session id (when cookies are turned off).
But IMP doesn't appear to ever use the SID var, and unless turning
--enable-trans-sid does some other undocumented magic, it shouldn't make any
difference. But maybe try recompiling PHP with it turned on.

(The '--enable-versioning' makes it possible to run PHP3 and PHP4 on the same
server. It looks like your Apache is loading both versions. When I left off
--enable-versioning Apache would crash and burn. Perhaps this is something
changed in the newer version of Apache you are using.)

Beyond that, it looks like you have PHP error reporting turned off. Make
these changes to the php.ini file and restart Apache. Make IMP fail and see
if anything is reported. Maybe there will be one of those head-slapper clues
in the log.

In your /etc/php.ini:
error_reporting = E_ALL
log_errors = On
error_log = /tmp/php.log
;error_prepend_string = ""
;error_append_string = ""
;(comment out the error_append_string and
;error_prepend_string settings)

David

--
David Peoples
The Touring Cyclist, 11816 St. Charles Rock Road, Bridgeton, MO 63044 USA