Lots of LDAP,IMAP connections

Harry Hoffman hhoffman@ip-solutions.net
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:10:36 -0500 (EST)

Hey All,
  This probably isn't the right forum but I'm hoping that someone using
IMP with a similar setup has seen this and figured out what is happening.
Here's the deal:
Redhat 7.1
 OpenLdap 2.0.11
 Cyrus Imap 2.0.9
 Cyrus Sasl 1.5.24
 Nscd-2.2.4-19
 nss-ldap-149-4
 PHP 4.0.6 (imap, ldap, ssl, mysql, etc.)
 HORDE/IMP/KRONOLITH/TURBA all from cvs checkout

I'm seeing about 20 different connections to the LDAP server at any given
point in time. Using 'lsof' I see that these connections are from my web
server (httpd), from login (presumably pam or ssh), from mysql, and from
the ldap server itself.
When connecting via IMP these connections jump to around 100 or so (only 1
users so far) and the box slows to a crawl. Some connections are in an
ESTABLISHED state, some are in a TIME_WAIT.
All connections are made on localhost. I can't figure why these
various different daemons are making connections to the ldap server and
was hoping that perhaps you might be able to point me in the right
direction.
I'm using LDAP to authenticate IMAP users via PAM and to store their mail
info, but that's it.
Again, my apologies for posting here but I can't seem to figure it out and
would very much like to so I can use IMP.

Thanks,
Harry