[imp] tinyint, why not smallint or int2?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:28:25 -0500

Quoting Martín Marqués <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar>:

> I'm looking at the category.sql, and I see that there are tinyint data types,
> which I can guess that are MySQL's equivalent to INT2 or SMALLINT.
> Can't this be compatible to all databases? I think that MySQL supports
> SMALLINT, as well as PostgreSQL an Informix (those are the ones I know).

I have mysql in one dev environment and MS SQL Server in my other, and they
tend to be pretty different, but they both have tinyint. Postgres doesn't?

> I also see that there is an ALTER TABLE to add an index, when it should only
> be a CREATE INDEX statment.

I hadn't sorted out making these portable at all yet. Is CREATE INDEX a
portable statement?

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see, in the