[imp] Message-Display ignores MIME charset

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:01:21 -0500

Quoting Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de>:

> Now, IMP (which we are currently testing) apparently does
> ignore the MIME charset label: for the display, IMP undoes
> the content-transfer-encoding, but it tells the browser
> that the text be in ISO 8859-1 encoding. So IMP effectively
> transfers bits rather than characters, cf. example below.
> This means also, that neither the Euro symbol (our currency
> from 2002-01-01 on) nor Sorbian (one of Germany's official
> languages) can be displayed, as ISO 8859-1 lacks the required
> characters.

The main problem is having the message in a charset different from the rest of
the UI. If you use IMP in zh_TW, any messages you get in a traditional chinese
charset will show up appropriately. All of this works much more consistently in
IMP 3.0, btw.

Any suggestions on how to display charsets other than that of the rest of the
UI would be welcome.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see, in the