[imp] Message-Display ignores MIME charset

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:23:17 +0100

Jan Schneider wrote:

> I'm not sure but shouldn't at least unicode work?

Yes it should, and I had mentioned why I currently deem Imp deficient,
in this respect:
- The user has to find (or guess) the correct encoding,
- he must open a new window (two browsers I tried go back to the
   imp/mailbox.php3 frame when you change the encoding),
- the UI texts are spoiled, as they are in a different encoding, yet
   in the same frame.

> I switched my browser to use unicode and - voilá - the part was

> displayed (almost) correctly with greek, russian, chinese and german

> characters.

If there were 6 boxes in the Greek line, you have used a font lacking
the Extended Greek range. The question mark (in an R's stead) in the
Russian line was my fault: I sent that message with Mozilla 4.77 [en]
which erroneously labelled it as Iso-8859-1, while it actually was in
Windows CP 1252.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz