Huge mailboxes and IMP

Jose Gracia Neto - CAT zegracia@cbpf.br
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:14:56 -0200 (EDT)

Hi,

I am running IMP on my network, under Solaris 8 environment, and I am having
the following problem:

Some of my users have the habit to grow huge mailboxes, over 10 Mb large, and
everytime one of them tries to access the webmail, they cause heavy load on my
server, witch has always a few connexions.
This causes amy instances of imap daemons (UW-IMAP) to crash and remain on my
process stack.
I tried setting the maximum values allowed in php.ini to affordable values, but
this still doesn't prevent those users to try to access their mailboxes, witch
causes the mentioned unpleasant effect.
I'd like to know if there is already some way to check mailbox sizes (by mailbox
I mean the inbox on my spool partition) BEFORE attempting to connect the user,
so I can at least present him a message telling him to narrow it down with his
conventional mail client.
If not, is there by any chance any way to select just some messages for viewing
instead of the whole mail box? Perhaps some way to limit the number of header
frames, like for example, 5 frames, each one with 20 headers.

By the way, I am using IMP 2.2.7.

Thanks,

Jose