Setting Default Preferences in IMP 3.0 (RC2)

Walter R. Moore moorewr@eckerd.edu
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:33:25 -0500

Well, I've installed IMP 3/Horde 2 RC2 on my test server, and it really
looks and works well. Every user I've had play with it has commented on
the improved layout and appearance.

Installation still has a fair amount of booby traps, and I really really
wish there was a step-by-step example in the docs, but hey, this is
still pre-release.

I'd like advice on setting smart defaults for user rpeferences. For
example, I'd like the defaults for contacts (turba) for an IMP user to
have expand names search a particular LDAP database as well as Local SQL
  by default. Likewise I want to tweak the settings for From: and so on
liek you can during the IMP 2.x install.

Also, 0% of my users will know what "Local SQL" means. Where do I change
that wording? I seriously suggest the project consider changing the
wording to something more end-user friendly - maybe just "Local" or
"Personal," or how about the Microsoftish "My Addresses?"

oh -- where do I customize the appearance of the pages? I mean, I like
purple and all..

Thanks!
-Walter Moore

Walter R. Moore --  System Administrator, Eckerd College
moorewr@eckerd.edu --  http://home.eckerd.edu/~moorewr

"If the United Kingdom is to be overun, keep outside the ring. Go to
South  Africa, Australia, Canada. Keep going, and stay in touch with
Auxiliary units in the UK. Remember, it took the Greeks only six
hundred years to get free of the Turks."
    - Peter Wilkinson, chief of staff to Col. Gubbins, SOE, May, 1940.