Help with gettext

Jeff Tucker jefft@wciatl.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:07:39 -0500

Hi,

I can't get gettext working on my system. I realize this isn't an imp
question, but the reason I'm trying to get it working is to enable the
translations in imp.

My system was a clean install of Slackware 8.0. I tried the following
command-line tests:
(LANG=nl_NL; gettext tar "Memory exhausted")

and
export LANG=nl_NL
gettext tar "Memory exhausted"

Neither of these work. They do work on a RedHat system I also admin, BTW.

I then downloaded and installed gettext-0.10.40, the latest version. "make
check" says I pass all the test, but even after "make install" the tests
above don't work. I've verified that I have a
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/tar.mo file.

What could I be missing? I'm guessing it's an environment variable or a
library issue or something, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks
Jeff

--
Jeff Tucker