IMP inlining, Horde Charset Settings

Marcus I. Ryan marcus@riboflavin.net
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:04:23 -0600

I hope crossposting isn't a faux pass...if so, sorry, and let the
flogging begin.

I am running HORDE 3.0-cvs and IMP 4.0-cvs (updated yesterday - 11/28).

I noticed that several text/plain messages would not display inline
when viewed with the new IMP, despite the settings mime viewer
settings.  This included messages sent by my new IMP installation
(different machine, etc.).

It appears that in message.php the function canDisplayInline()
(starting line 104) does a check to see if the character set matches
either the global registry setting or 'us-ascii'.  My default horde
charset comes out as iso-8859-1 (the default).  However, the messages
sent by my installation of IMP get transerred as utf-8, and messages
from KMail (and probably others) uses iso-8859-15, a replacement for
iso-8859-1 from what I can find on google.

I have patched it myself by changing line 114 to:
        strtolower($mime->charset) == 'us-ascii' ||
        strtolower($mime->charset) == 'utf-8' ||
        strtolower($mime->charset) == 'iso-8859-15')) {
but that seems more like a bad hack than a proper solution, especially
the iso-8859-15 check, since some people might be using a different
charset and not want to inline iso-8859-15.

--
Marcus I. Ryan, marcus@riboflavin.net
 "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it