Incomplete Reply Messages - is it just me or it's a bug?

James Kwong kwong@nova.edu
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:50:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Is it just me or this happened to everyone?

I received the following message from perl.com the other day and
I tried to forward it to a friend of mine.  The recipient received an
incomplete message that was cut in the middle.  And I noticed this
was not the only message that sent the recipient an incomplete message.

I was using latest IMP 4.0-cvs with UW IMAP server.  I thought
maybe it's just a new bug.  So, I switched back to the latest tarball
version of IMP 3.0 (last week) but the problem still exist.

Can you guys try to reply/forward the following email content and see
if you got an incomplete message?

I changed the quoted lines prefix symbol from ">" to something
else like "#", but it didn't help.

Please help!
TIA.
James.

       		  Perl.com update

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to
bring you the week's news and developments both in the Perl
world and on our own site. Hope you had a good holiday!

* Perl at large.

Dave Rolsky has been hard at work writing a little article to
compare various methods of storing objects into databases - "object
persistence" - making them more permanent and easy to manage. If
you're doing heavy-duty applications involving objects, this is
almost certainly something you need to know about; and if you're
not already on enough mailing lists, check out the POOP-group,
for more Perl Object-Oriented Persistence talk.

    http://poop.sourceforge.net/
    http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=poop-group
    http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=poop-scoop

Good news for Mac users, as another beta of MacPerl 5.6.1 appears,
thanks to the hard work of Chris Nandor. As usual, yes, you can
build it using freely-available compilers. Go get it, play with
it, and pass on any bug reports to Chris and the other developers.
Enjoy!

    http://dev.macperl.org/
    http://dev.macperl.org/?build

And finally... some good news on the "stupid modules" front; the
popular /dev/bollocks device driver for Linux has been ported to
Perl, in the form of Dev::Bollocks. If that wasn't enough, Autrijus
Tang threatens to break our brains with the wonderful-yet-disturbing
Acme::ComeFrom. Urgh.

    http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Dev-Bollocks-0.04
    http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Acme-ComeFrom-0.05

* What's new on perl.com

Do you ever forget what you're supposed to be doing today? Do you
have a million and one projects on the go, but no idea where you're
up to with them? I frequently get that, and I don't know how I'd
get anything at all done if it wasn't for Request Tracker. Robert
Spier explains how to use the open-source Request Tracket application
to organise teams working on common projects.

   http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/28/request.html

Have a good holiday,
SC

FREE TRIAL: DEVELOP AND DEPLOY J2EE COMPATIBLE APPLICATIONS
QUICKLY!  Macromedia JRun 3.1 - with speed, ease-of-use,
scalability, and high performance - empowers you to build
powerful J2EE compatible Java applications with Java Servlets,
JSP, and EJBs. TRY JRUN FOR FREE at
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/11/Macromedia/jrun

*** Featured Articles ***

Request Tracker
Do you ever forget what you're supposed to be doing today? Do you
have a million and one projects on the go, but no idea where you're
up to with them? I frequently get that, and I don't know how I'd
get anything at all done if it wasn't for Request Tracker. Robert
Spier explains how to use the open-source Request Tracker
application to organise teams working on common projects.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/28/request.html

***

Lightweight Languages
Simon Cozens reports from this weekend's Lightweight Languages
workshop at the MIT AI labs, where leading language researchers
and implementors got together to chat about what they're up to.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/21/lightweight.html

***

Parsing Protein Domains with Perl
James Tisdall, author of O'Reilly's Beginning Perl for
Bioinformatics, shows biologists how to program in Perl using
biological data, with downloadable code examples.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/16/perlbio2.html

***

Create RSS channels from HTML news sites
Chris Ball shows us how to turn any ordinary news site into a
Remote Site Summary web service.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/15/creatingrss.html

O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference
January 28-31, 2002, Tucson, AZ

Hear from Lincoln D. Stein, Ewan Birney, Gene Myers, Terry
Gaasterland, James Ostell, James Tisdall, and many more.
ACT NOW to save over $500 on conference registration.
Offer ends December 7, 2001
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/

         *** A Special Book Offer from O'Reilly ***

Ruby in a Nutshell Offer--20% Off

Save 20% off the list price when you buy O'Reilly's recently
released "Ruby in a Nutshell"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ruby/). This book is a
practical reference guide covering everything from Ruby
syntax to the specifications of its standard class libraries.
Offer valid only through the oreilly.com shopping cart. Use
the following code: OPC21.  Expires December 3, 2001.

address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin@oreillynet.com
> Is it just me or this happened to everyone?
>
> I received the following message from perl.com the other day and
> I tried to forward it to a friend of mine.  The recipient received an
> incomplete message that was cut in the middle.  And I noticed this
> was not the only message that sent the recipient an incomplete message.
>
> I was using latest IMP 4.0-cvs with UW IMAP server.  I thought
> maybe it's just a new bug.  So, I switched back to the latest tarball
> version of IMP 3.0 (last week) but the problem still exist.
>
> Can you guys try to reply/forward the following email content and see
> if you got an incomplete message?
>
> I changed the quoted lines prefix symbol from ">" to something
> else like "#", but it didn't help.

No problems here. Sound like something with mta is wrong. Any error
messages in the log files?

Jan.

AMMMa AG - discover your knowledge
Detmolder Str. 25-33 :: D-33604 Bielefeld
fon +49.521.96878-0 :: fax  +49.521.96878-20
http://www.ammma.de