Problem with LDAP+IMP (UTF8 and accentuated vowels)

Santiago Romero sromero@servicom2000.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:48:10 +0100

 Hi!
 I have a big problem with IMP 2.2.6 and my LDAP server. My
 LDAP Server (Netscape iPlanet Directory Server 5.0) stores
 the data on UTF8, and when I search in the LDAP server under
 the IMP webmail I can't see the accentuated vowels or
 special ISO-8859-1 spanish characters

 (áéíóúàèìòùñç)

 I had the same problem with Oracle but I solved it by adding
 the following to the stronghold/start-server script:

 export LANGUAGE=SPANISH
 export NLS_LANG=SPANISH_SPAIN.WE8ISO8859P15

 Now the problem is the LDAP. I can insert ldap entries with
 netscape's console and I read correctly in the same console,
 but under IMP I read strange characters instead of the
 latin1 characters. I get Administraci"An instead of Administración.

 I've tried to hack ldap.search.php3 to call to utf8_decode()
 over the variable $email[1] but it didn't work.

 Any idea of how to solve it? It's a big problem for me (that makes
 the ldap server unusable! :( )

 Thanks a lot everybuddy.

--
Santiago Romero