[imp] IMP RC3 has outdated INSTALL doc - FreeBSD anyone????

Thierry Thomas thierry@thomas.as
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:25:41 +0100

Hello,

Le 14 Dec 01 à  8:38:03 +0000, Odhiambo Washington écrivait :
> > The best advice I can give you to start off is not to use the ports collection.
>
> I only installed the pear from the ports after verifying the version in the Makefile
> and found that they are the same, else I could have used the tarball, which I also
> had ;()

The ports system is great if you install everything from the ports tree:
when installing or upgrading, it manages all the dependences in a
coherent way. But if you just pick some port and install others
directly, your pkgdb base will become broken, and you will get more
complications than benefits.

Regards,
--
Th. Thomas.