Horde/Kronolith on FreeBSD (was Re: [imp] Folders)

Marcus I. Ryan marcus@riboflavin.net
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:30:35 -0600

This seems to keep coming up, so, having fought the battle and won, I
will say the two things most people wanting to run Horde on FreeBSD
need to be aware of are:

(1) Kronolith-CVS has a (not much vaunted on the web site) SQL driver
completely eliminating the need for libmcal; at least, I didn't
realize it until I started digging in the CVS tree, and it appears to
do everything kronolith offers...

(2) If you use CVS to update the FreeBSD ports collection the
important bits are now part of the ports collection:
/usr/ports/misc/libmcal
/usr/ports/misc/mod_php4 now asks about including MCAL support

see http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-using.html for information
on updating your ports collection through CVS

As of 12/21/2001 (today) the /usr/ports/devel/pear port will update
your PEAR libraries, but mod_php4 now includes PHP 4.1.0 so you don't
need to do that.  However, as of today, I couldn't get php to patch
cleanly from the port - some of the patch files are incorrect, but
that will hopefully be fixed shortly.

I am documenting everything I've done to set up my horde server, and
will someday hopefully turn that into a HOWTO, but it will likely be
limited to my specific setup, and that setup includes much more than
horde.  Basically I'm trying to document what I've done so I can
recreate it.

Actually, I'd love to write a whole book on Horde, but that would
require much more knowledge of PHP and the horde code than I currently
have, and my free time seems to be shrinking daily...

--
Marcus I. Ryan, marcus@riboflavin.net
 "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it