[imp] MIME drive for handling inline HTML pages

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 18:06:31 -0500

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 05:55:25PM -0500, Christopher Lee wrote:

> 1, IMP would only try to process a HTML page if this tagged with the
> appropriate mime type.  If some guy decides to send me an HTML email the old
> fashioned way (i.e. typing all the HTML tags in his message by hand), IMP will
> simply display the HTML codes instead of acknowledge the sender's booboo and
> render the message into a HTML page anyhow (which is what Eudora and Outlook
> would do).

I consider this the correct behavior because:

    - the content does not correctly identify itself as HTML
    - IMP, which runs inside of a web browser, needs to be extra
      careful about letting HTML tags slip past

> 2, In case of an corrupted HTML source code, instead of coming back with an
> error, IMP will just not return anything (the browser will eventual give up
> after a few minutes)...  This is bad...  I could supply a sample html file if
> anyone is interested...

IMP has no way of knowing whether or not the HTML content is
valid.

> Does anyone on the list have any solution/suggestion to these two issues??  I
> am going to hack the code myself later on, but I just thought I don't want to
> re-invent the wheel if someone out there has already spent the time and effort
> on this...

Eudora and Outlook are full-fledged applications.  They can take
a few more liberties when dealing with HTML content than we can
as a web-based application.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (2001)