[imp] IMP and virus checking

Rick Romero Rick@valeoinc.com
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:58:07 -0600

On 2 Jan 2002 at 16:37, Rich Lafferty wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:24:55PM -0500, Mike Coughlan (mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com) wrote:
> > i know my opinion was not asked but...
> >
> > my 2 cents is that virus checking needs constant updating, so you might need
> > to revisit this often even if you did make this dealine
>
> I can say with some certainty that virus-checking patterns and
> scanning engines won't find their way in; it'd just be hooks if
> anything.
>
> (I still believe the hooks belong in the mail server. We've had great
> success with Trend Micro's product.)

My .02 opinion goes along with Rich's.  I have (don't laugh) a
'service' running that is geared towards this very thing at
www.vfemail.net .   While I use Horde/IMP for the webmail, I can't
(and I don't think many admins can) restrict users to that interface.

The best place for virus scanning is on the email server itself, I use
qmailscan / Kaspersky AV.

Rick

-----

Rick Romero