Mail sent "on behalf of" not searchable.

Mike Coughlan mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:44:29 -0500

Sorry if this is a duplicate posting, I'm not sure it went out...

IMP is still sending mail "on behalf of" the imp user. Is this a limitation
or feature of PHP-IMAP? Is there an IMP or PHP.ini parameter that I can set
to change this? If so, I recommend changing the default to be more in line
with commercial webmail systems.

The reason why I believe this is a problem, is that mail sent from IMP does
not seem to be searchable by Outlook 2000.  It does not resolve the "from"
field properly.

In our case, one would need to search for mail from "www-data" , the owner
of the apache process, and not from "mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com" etc.

Maybe Outlook is breaking the RFCs yet again, and I don't know how other
mail clients behave - at any rate IMHO, the install base for Outlook is too
big, and the search feature is too important just to be ignored.  And unlike
past Outlook issues, I don't know that many people will catch this before
the users experience a good deal of frustration.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Of course, the IMP search is fine.

Horde Versions
Horde: 2.0
IMP: 3.0
Turba: 1.0
Chora: 0.6.5-cvs
PHP Version
View phpinfo() screen
PHP Version: 4.1.0RC2
PHP Major Version: 4.1
PHP Minor Version: 0
PHP Version Classification: dev
You are running a supported version of PHP.
PHP Module Capabilities