IMP 3: How do we set global defaults for "Expand Names"??

Walter R. Moore moorewr@eckerd.edu
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:04:45 -0500

I have been trolling this list on MARC for a fix to this with none seen yet.

One of the biggest barriers we face before we can adopt IMP 3 is the
behavior of Turba with IMP. In IMP 2.x you automatically had access to
LDAP and your own addressbook. in 3.0, that is gone and by default
Expand names does not by default look at any of the address books you
have defined. This means that 99% of our user base will not figure out
or bother with changing this in their IMP options.

I would like to either make these "on" by default, or to lock the
preference if need be to make them on for everyone.

The lack of a contacts button seems like a bad idea; I suggest the
patches suggested to return it be merged in to the next release.

Also aparently gone? is the ability to add names found in LDAP to your
SQL addressbook.

Thanks for any suggestions,
-Walter Moore

Walter R. Moore --  System Administrator, Eckerd College
moorewr@eckerd.edu --  http://home.eckerd.edu/~moorewr

"If the United Kingdom is to be overun, keep outside the ring. Go to
South  Africa, Australia, Canada. Keep going, and stay in touch with
Auxiliary units in the UK. Remember, it took the Greeks only six
hundred years to get free of the Turks."
    - Peter Wilkinson, chief of staff to Col. Gubbins, SOE, May, 1940.