IMP and other questions

Allen Armstrong allen@fixitmobile.com
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:38:09 -0800

Hello,

Little Background:

I work for a school district which is currently hosting the district mail
staff/students on pop3 linux box which has been running for years and is
about to die. :-)  We want to switch to web based email for various reasons.
(upgrade one client, remote access, central backup etc)  We really like the
look and feel of horde/imp and I see it can easily be scaled to handle our
small school district of 5000 users (students/teachers).  I was thinking
about using Cyrus as the imap server as it can handle disk quotes, pam_mysql
authentication etc.

We were thinking about using exim for the filtering of incoming email.
(Spam, mail bombs, viruses exe.pif, etc)  We am not completely sold on the
imap server although there seems to be some up incoming support for sieve
(saw this in the list archives) which intrigues us.

To cut down on jsmiths1@domain.com, and jsmiths10@domain.com we want to
implement jsmiths@schoolname.domain.com and the students login with their
unique student numbers.  Which I am hoping imp can support multi-domain
based on user.

My questions:

1. Does the latest version IMP support multi-domain based on users?

2. Little off topic but does anyone know of a backend either PHP or Perl
that can manage these sub-domains?  What we want to do is give a teacher
(network admin) at each of the schools access only to their school.  So they
only need to be able add/remove students in their school.  The only thing
else they need to do is change passwords.  They don't need to do anything
else.

3. Anyone have pointers, insights, yikes, do this, don't do that?

Feel free to email privately or publicly.  Any help is appreciated.

Allen Armstrong