[imp] sieve horde module?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy@hub.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:48:21 -0400 (AST)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Max Kalika wrote:

> Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>:
>
> > From what I can tell, though, with the current IMP filtering, shouldn't it
> > be simple enough to just have an option/preference for 'server side' vs
> > 'client side' filtering?   or maybe a config.php option for
> > 'filter_storage: {sieve/flatfile}'?  The actual interface itself doesn't
> > need to be any different, only the storage model used ...
>
> If we do integrate the sieve filters (which would be pretty neat).  I'm
> thinking it would be an option at filter creation time:
>
>   if imp is configured to allow filters
>     if imp is configured to allow sieve filters
>       show option to create eiter an IMP or SIEVE filter
>       (radio button or somesuch)
>
> This is most likely to be a pref (default_filter_type).
>
> At least this is what I'll be looking into once I revamp the current imp
> filters.  "If only there wasn't such a profound lack of time."(tm)  :)

That works too ... but some sort of explanation of the differences should
be included ... for instance, if Sieve filtering exists, why would I want
to use IMP filtering?  In fact, as an administrator, if I have Sieve
filtering available, the last thing I think I'd want is for end-users to
be able to use IMP filtering, for a very simple reason ... with Sieve
filtering, the message(s) are filtered as they arrive ... with IMP
filtering, they are filtered in bulk when the user logs in, which I would
imagine would cause more load, no?

Also, one thing I haven't figured out yet ... if I have my mailbox opened
with IMP and a new message is detected, does the filtering apply, or only
when I open my mailbox to start the session?