Compression + cache settings

Edward Wildgoose Edward.Wildgoose@FRMHedge.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:01:51 -0000

Thanks, the log files suggest that gzip never tried to compress as
opposed to compressed again.  Completely agree though that there is
still possibly some overhead here.  Might try disabling, but
circumstantially what I think I see is that gzip starts compressing, and
gets stuff out to the client while it is doing this.  PHP compresses
completely and then releases the page, so there is some perceptual
quickness as well?

Either way mod_gzip looks pretty promising here?  Anyone else have any
experiences?

However, the whole thing is still sluggish on my poxy old AMD 400Mhz
machine.  I am using PHP4.1 with PHPA to do acceleration.  Memory is
256Mb, limited free disk space, e-mail via IMAP on same machine.  No
load - I am the only user.

I have tried to turn on the caching feature in Horde but I don't see
anything in /var/cache/horde - dir is now chmod 777 ...?  Should I see
stuff here, nothing in the log file to suggest that it is either trying
or having difficulty..?  I do notice a tiny bit of HD grinding with each
page fetch, I am assuming that this is logging...?

Anyone able to help me out here?

Very pleased with IMP all in all!  Congratulations to the developers!

Thanks

Ed Wildgoose

> As an aside I use mod_gzip on Apache and notice that turning off
> compress in config/horde gives a marginally smaller output and the
page
> appears noticably quicker on the browser (IE 5.5).  This could well be
> due to config issues such as mod_gzip imposing an overhead when php
has
> compressed already, but I don't think so (looking at the logs)

Compressing things twice can't be efficient...

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see,