[imp] Session expiring

Bjorn Swift bjorn@olympus.swift.st
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:51:30 +0000

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 09:33:55PM -0500, Rob Lineweaver wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 12:12, Ramon Kagan wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > Any body have any new ideas.  I can't go production when my users will be
> > logged out spontaneously.
> >

> Ramon,
>
> I'm no expert here because I've never used LVS but I think that is
> causing the problem.  Doesn't the Linux Virtual Server setup forward
> HTTP requests on to the least busy backend server?  The problem is that
> the PHP sessions are tracked on the server side per server (aren't
> they?... or do they use cookies?), so that you may get lucky and get
> your requests forwarded to the same backend server a couple of times but
> eventually you'll get a server that has no clue about your session, and
> it logs you out.
>
> I'm just spouting off a wild idea here so someone feel free to correct
> me if i'm wrong.
>
> Try a setup without LVS and see if it works without logging you out
> spontaneously.
>
> Rob Lineweaver
> :)

This shouldn't be the case. The following is taken from www.linuxvirtualserver.org:

     .......... and the connection is added into the hash table
     which records connections. Then, the load balancer directly
     forwards it to the chosen server. When the incoming packet
     belongs to this connection and the chosen server can be
     found in the hash table, the packet will be again directly
     routed to the server.

Cheers,
Bjorn Swift