[imp] poppassd error 101(connection refused )

Eric J Rostetter eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:04:33 -0600

Quoting Sudharshan Babu K V <sudharshan@indmail.iwavesystems.net>:

> I am getting the following error while changing the password thru imp,
> The following error has occured while processing your request:
> Password Server: 111(Connection refused)

Make sure your config files have the correct server and port specified.
That is, check passwd/config/conf.php to make sure it is correct.

Check your log files in /var/log (for RH 6.2) and see if there are any
errors there.

Then try to test things via telnet if you can.  Telnet to port 106 of
the poppassd server machine, and enter the needed commands (user, pass,
newpass, quit) via telnet.  If it is localhost, it would be something
like:

$ telnet localhost 106
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 poppassd v1.4 hello, who are you?
user test
200 your password please.
pass oldtestpassword
200 your new password please.
newpass newtestpassword
200 Password changed, thank-you.
quit
200 Bye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

> i have added the following in /etc/services on my Redhat 6.2 server
> poppassd     106/tcp   #poppassd
>
> I have also added the following in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> poppassd stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/poppassd poppassd

That seems fine, but the fact that you get connection refused means it
isn't able to connect to the server for some reason.  Did you restart
inetd after adding the above line to the inetd.conf file?  Do you have
a firewall that is blocking connections?  Also, if you configured tcp_wrappers
then you may need to add a line like the following to /etc/hosts.allow:

poppassd : 127.0.0.1 : rfc931

(you might also put your real IP as well as the loopback in the above entry).
If this is the case, your log files should show the rejection by tcp_wrappers.

> Thanks in advance,
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> Sudharshan Babu K V
> iWave Systems Technologies
> Bangalore
> Pager No: 9628 407574
> Phone NO: 6784773 / 6683700 EXTN: 125
> Internet email id: sudharshan@indmail.iwavesystems.net

Posting these troubleshooting hints to the list not only because the question
was on the list, but also so that in the future people with the same problems
can look them up in the archives.

Eric Rostetter
sigless...