Problem with imp and Apache processes

Richard Rogers R.M.Rogers@staffs.ac.uk
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:26:01 +0000

Hi -

I have a problem with imp on Apache. This started with some older
versions, but after upgrading everything (Apache, imp, horde and
PHP), the problem still remains.

The setup now is:
  Apache 1.3.23
  imp 3.0
  php 4.1.1
  horde 2.0

all running on Compaq (Digital) Tru64 Unix v4.0G

The problem seems to be that some Apache imp requests are not
"letting go" of the Apache process slot. The result is that after a
while, Apache is left with no free process slots, and the Apache
server-status report shows many imp-related requests in a "W" state.

With imp disabled, the server runs quite happily.

I have tried decreasing the Apache MaxRequestsPerChild limit (to 2),
in case of memory leaks, but this made no difference.

Can anyone offer any advice please? The main reason this problem has
shown up has been a rapid increase of the use of imp, so now it's
suddenly crucial to get it working properly! Under light usage it
seems OK.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Rogers
Information Technology Services
Staffordshire University
Tel: 01785 (+44 1785) 353395
E-mail: R.M.Rogers@staffs.ac.uk
    ...Do you ever get the feeling that the
         story's too damned real and in the present tense?...